13 May 2009

Blue Bird on Steroids!



I know, I know.  It's not a bluebird, it's a bluejay. But isn't he...kind of...large?  

Speaking of anomalies, I have recently begun physical therapy. This is in part because I am old and creaky, as those of you who know me are aware. It is also because I have been experiencing shooting pains in my right arm, from my shoulder to my elbow. Upon further observation (i.e. poking and prodding) by my physical therapist, it has been determined that I suffer from "editor's shoulder."  Yes, I just made up that term, but it is a very real affliction. Years and years of commuting to work while lugging tote bags stuffed with manuscripts have finally taken their toll. According to the experts, the bones in my shoulder have become misaligned, and the musculature is knotted and angry.

As a result, for the time being, I can no longer carry anything on my right shoulder, can't sleep on my right side, and can't really lift anything heavier than an iPhone with my right hand. Let this be a lesson to all you young, seemingly-fit editors out there: buy yourselves Kindles or Sony Readers ASAP. Your body will thank you later.

Hopefully the PT will straighten me out so I can fly right. But in the meantime, I'm going to see if the aforementioned bluejay might be willing to do some heavy lifting for me.

(Photo courtesy of J.LaReau)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your therapy, Kara. I just finished a couple months of PT, so I feel your pain. Hang in there.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. So did the PT work for you? -K : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. PT with ice packs after helped a lot. They are big on icing in therapy. According to my therapist, I still have a bit of the "rehabilated pimp shuffle" going on. I should bicycle more to improve knee range or I could buy a fancy hat w/feather. In time it'll improve. : )

    ReplyDelete